So, you’re looking at humidifiers and now realize that there are a vast number of humidifier selections available. A virtual sea of possibilities to choose from. Now suppose that you don’t want to change the humidity in just one room, but the entire house and you set your focus on these types of humidifiers only.
This focused approach may help to eliminate a lot of the variety available but may still leave you asking yourself some pertinent questions to select the best model for your needs. We will further discuss these questions, but for now, let’s take a look at our selections for the top 8 humidifiers for the whole house.
Our whole-home humidifier selections are portable units only, although some may choose to install a humidifying unit in their home many will not want that type due to the expense or the fact that they don’t own the house. We will provide you with a review of the best units to use in place of a built-in system.
Top 8 Whole Home Humidifiers for 2019
Levoit Large Room 6L Ultrasonic Humidifier
Best Combo Unit
Honeywell Cool Moisture Console Humidifier
Best Portable Evaporative Unit
Aircare EP9-800 Console Humidifier
Best Small Console Unit
Elechomes Ultrasonic Large Room/Home Humidifier
Best for Small Homes
Vornado Evap40 Humidifier
Great Portable Evaporative Humidifier
Aircare H12600 Console Humidifier
Best Value for a Large Console Humidifier
Boneco 2 in 1 Air Washer
Best Humidifier and Purifier Combo Unit
Holmes Cool-Mist Console Humidifier
Best Priced Large Console Unit
1. Levoit Large Room 6L Ultrasonic Humidifier – Best Combo Unit
The Levoit 6L large room combo humidifier offers the use of both a warm-mist or ultrasonic cool mist humidification for a large room or small house. This unit can also supply an aromatherapy scent through the mist and has a large 1.5-gallon tank that can run for 36-hours on a single fill-up.
The humidity sensor helps to regulate the amount of moisture the unit propels into the house, and the unit also has two mist settings allowing you the ability to adjust the mist as you see fit. A handheld remote control allows you to adjust the unit from across the room and a timer that can shut the humidifier off at a specific time every day.
- This unit has a large tank and extended continual run time.
- The ultrasonic cool mist is ultra-quiet.
- The unit features an easy to read and use LED display control panel and offers a remote control.
- You can use this unit with aromatherapy oils.
- This humidifier can offer both cool-mist and warm-mist humidification in the same unit.
- The built-in hydrometer may not work properly.
- There were a few complaints that the humidifier quit working within a couple of months.
- Some had some minor leaking issues related to the tank.
2. Honeywell Cool Moisture Console Humidifier – Best Portable Evaporative Unit
Smaller than many of the other console humidifiers allowing you to easily reposition this humidifier to get the best coverage in your home. The easy-fill 3-gallon tank ensures that this humidifier can continuously run for a full 24-hours and will shut off automatically when empty.
This unit has three vapor mist settings allowing you total humidity control and indicator lights to keep you informed of when the tank is empty, or the set humidity level has been reached.
You can choose between white or black exterior colors to help this unit blend in with your home’s décor, and the stylish exterior offers a touch of modern design.
- A large tank means this unit can run on low for 24-hours.
- Evaporative humidifier that can’t over humidify a room or house.
- This unit can cover up to 2300 sq.ft.
- The wick/filter helps to improve air quality by reducing germs.
- This unit uses a filter/wick that will need to be replaced and can add to the overall cost of the unit.
- This humidifier uses a fan to propel the humidity into your home, and some may find this noisy.
- The dual water tank design is somewhat problematic for some and difficult to see the water level.
3. Aircare EP9-800 Console Humidifier – Best Small Console Unit
This is a pedestal type of humidifier and can act as an additional tabletop in your house. Not a unit that you pick up and take with you on vacation but more an addition to your home. This evaporative unit covers up to 2400 sq. ft and offers nine fan speed levels so you can customize the mist flow to your needs.
You fill the unit where it stands with a pitcher or bucket and don’t have to worry about toting around a tank, and the setting display is digital for ease of use. Auto-off and built-in hydrometer help you get the perfect in-house humidity level and also ensure the unit won’t run dry and burn up the internal workings.
- Can blend in with the interior design of your home as an additional tabletop.
- The tile on the top can be changed to match your home tiles.
- This unit is rated for up to 2400 sq.ft. of coverage.
- The built-in hydrometer helps to alleviate the possibility of over humidifying the house.
- The blue LED light is bright and cannot be shut off.
- Filling the unit where it stands may cause spillage.
- The nine fan speeds seem noisier than most expected.
4. Elechomes Ultrasonic Humidifier – Best for Small Homes
This is a portable unit that can provide optimal humidity for up to 750 sq. ft — making it a perfect fit for a small home or apartments. This unit offers the duality of both warm and cool mist that can be customized for your comfort with the 360⁰ rotational mist nozzle and smart humidity sensing technology.
With the sleep mode, you can turn off the LED display, and the humidifier will become whisper quiet as to not disrupt light sleepers. You can use the remote control to adjust the vapor mist levels and the mist temperature as well as other features.
- The large capacity tank allows for up to 40-hours of run time when on the low setting.
- A portable unit that can be taken with you or easily moved if needed.
- Sleek design with a large easy to read LED display.
- The ultrasonic mist allows you to incorporate aromatherapy if you choose.
- Can incorporate a filter to help reduce hard water scale build-up.
- The unit may not have as long of continuous run time as the manufacturer claims.
- The LED display flashes and can be annoying.
- There are some complaints of condensation from this humidifier.
5. Vornado Evap40 Humidifier – Great Portable Evaporative
A portable evaporative humidifier that you could easily move around if needed but can boost the humidity level in a space up to 1000 sq. ft. A dual tank design that holds 4-gallons of water and can run for a full 24-hours between fill-ups and help lessen the burden of constant fill-ups.
Offering three fan speeds so you can customize the humidity level and the no-spill and no- leak air sealed tanks can help reduce any water mishaps. The tanks are easy to clean, and the adjustable humidistat helps you get the best possible humidity level.
- Large dual tanks for extended run time.
- Easy to use and understand knob controls.
- The unit is easy to clean and maintain.
- This unit uses 2-wick filters that can add to the overall cost of using the unit.
- The replacement filter may be harder to find than others.
- Some complaints that the unit didn’t perform as expected.
6. Aircare H12600 Console Humidifier – Best Value
This is an evaporative humidifier that can cover up to 3700sq.ft and could easily cover the entire house with better humidity. With this unit, you fill it where it stands and don’t need to worry about toting a heavy tank from the sink, and this may prove beneficial for persons with health issues that limit mobility.
The large 11.9-gallon capacity tank helps to provide optimal humidity levels throughout the entire house with reduced fill-ups. There is no fear of the white dust that can plague ultrasonic units, and this evaporative unit cannot over humidify the air.
- This unit can cover a large area.
- No tanks to tote around and less chance of tank leakage.
- This humidifier offers four fan speed settings to help you get the humidity you want.
- You get a 2-year warranty on this unit.
- There are some complaints that the water tank is not as easy to fill as the manufacturer claims.
- The water tank may not be as large as claimed.
- May be louder than expected.
- This is a large console unit and may not be suitable for smaller sized rooms.
7. Boneco 2 in 1 Air Washer – Best Humidifier and Purifier Combo Unit
This humidifier also offers the ability to purify the air as well as providing an increase in humidity levels. Offering up to 540sq.ft in coverage, this unit could be considered a whole-house humidifier if you live in a small home or apartment.
A sleek looking humidifier/purifier this unit can add a modern touch to your living space while being easy to clean and maintain. This unit offers you the ability to adjust the humidity in your home with a daytime and nighttime settings and helps to filter out many allergens.
The innovative evaporative mat is washing machine safe and helps to purify the humidity vapor propelled into your home. This unit is also easy to maintain with many components being dishwasher safe for easy clean up.
- This unit purifies the air and humidifies the air.
- No expensive HEPA filter to replace/
- The evaporative wick is washable.
- Has a sleek outer design and modern look.
- Although this unit is called an air purifier, it has no HEPA filter for allergens.
- May be priced outside some budgets.
- Complaints that the tank is not large enough and has to be refilled often.
8. Holmes Cool-Mist Console Humidifier – Best Priced Large Console Unit
A stand-alone console humidifier that has removable water tanks and a built -in filter system for added air purification. The large capacity tanks can help humidify a house up-to 2000sq.ft in size. and this unit offers a triple layer filter to help purify the air. The filter is treated with baking soda to provide a deodorizing property, an antimicrobial layer and carbon x treated for added purification
This unit features a 24-hour run time and an adjustable humidistat to help you get the best humidity in your home.
- Budget-friendly price.
- The filter is treated with antimicrobial protection to reduce bacterial growth.
- This unit is easy to maintain and clean.
- There are complaints of leakage from the tanks.
- It has external tanks and may not blend in with your décor.
- May be noisy in comparison to other console units.
When Do You Need a Whole-Home Humidifier?
Choosing a whole-house humidifier may help you in several ways beyond reducing dry skin in the wintertime. You may find your overall health improves when you increase the humidity level into the optimal range of 35-50%. You may breathe easier and sleep better as well as recover from illness quicker if your residence has a beneficial humidity level.
1. Reduce your power bill.
A whole-house humidifier may also help to reduce your power bill as proper humidity may help to make the house feel warmer and more comfortable. Moisture helps to hold the heat in the home and can add to the ambient temperature, especially if you are using a warm mist humidifier.
2. Your Furniture will thank you.
Your wooden furniture and flooring may also benefit from the improved humidity levels. Hardwood floors can crack and separate if the humidity gets too low in the home. Other wooden furniture or musical instruments may also suffer if the humidity drops and stays low for an extended period
3. Your pets and family members will benefit.
Using a whole-house humidifier may help all occupants of the home enjoy better health instead of limiting the benefits to a single room. Your pets may sleep better and be less itchy with proper humidity in the home as well as your family members.
4. End the static shock.
Another often overlooked low humidity issue you could be experiencing in your house is static electricity. If you had ever walked through your home in socks and then got a shocking surprise when you touched something or someone you know what I’m talking about. Adding a humidifier can help to eliminate this issue and reduce the static you and your family experience.
How Do You Choose the Best Whole House Humidifier?
Remember, at the beginning of the article; we discussed pertinent questions you may need to answer well here they are.
1. What floor-plan design is your home?
This is an important question that may help you reduce the number of choices you have. Take a moment and think about the design of your home when considering humidifiers, is it an open floorplan or a multi-room home? Is your home a multi-story?
If your home is a single-story and open-air design, you could probably use a single large room humidifier and notice positive results but not so much if you have a multi-room or multi-story home. With the latter, you may need to purchase additional units as a single unit may not provide enough humidity to every room.
2. What is your budget for the humidifier?
This factor alone may help you reduce the number of humidifiers you need to consider. If you have a strict budget, you should be able to eliminate many models. When you are considering the cost of a humidifier, you will also need to consider and figure in the long-term cost of maintaining the humidifier.
A cool-mist humidifier with a wick or filter may cost more in the long-run over a unit without one, but that wick or filter may help improve air quality.
3. Do you need a humidifier and air purifier because of allergies?
There are humidifiers available in this category, but they are considerably more expensive than other comparable humidifiers. If you are not in direct need of the air purifier feature, you may find a standard filter unit acceptable, and this could save you some serious money.
4. Warm-mist, Cool-mist, or a combo of both?
Do you think a warm-mist, or a cool-mist humidifier is best for your needs? If you can’t decide you may want to go with a combo unit. A combo unit may be a smart choice if you live in a climate that is hot and dry during the summer months as well as the winter.
There are pros and cons of all types of humidifiers, and you will need to weigh these out for yourself when selecting what features you want your humidifier to provide. Some will be better for warmer climates and around children while some may be better for year-round use or in cooler climates.
TIP: Most warm-mist humidifiers are not intended for whole-house humidification and may not be the best choice for this application.
5. Consider the possibility of condensation.
Keep this in your thoughts when narrowing down your selections, a unit that has reviews stating that it created condensation may be a humidifier you want to eliminate from your choices. There is the possibility with some humidifiers to over saturate the air, and this can become problematic in more than one way.
Moisture can lead to mold and mildew growth, and we all know how harmful these can be too our health. So too much humidity is not a good thing either and should be taken into consideration when you are making a final selection. Pay particular attention to the manufacturers, provided square footage coverage, and compare this to the dimensions of your home.
TIP: Evaporative humidifiers are less likely to have problems with condensation.
Choosing the best whole house humidifier for your home and needs will take a little research but should ensure that you get a humidifier you will be happy with for years to come. With so much environmental pollution, it is getting more important every day to increase the quality of the air in your home, and that includes proper humidity levels.
No matter the type of humidifier you choose to use in increasing the humidity in your home always take the time to maintain and clean the unit so you will always get the most benefits possible. Like with anything, proper maintenance can help add to the longevity of the unit and reduce the cost of replacing the unit prematurely.
Improving the humidity levels and air quality in your home will benefit all members of the household, including your pets. Don’t purchase the first humidifier you see. Do a little research, so you get the one that best fits your needs, and this will keep you and your family members happy and healthy.