So, you’re thinking of incorporating a warm mist humidifier into your household buy are not sure of which one will provide you the most bang for your buck and provide you the relief you may need.
What is a warm mist humidifier? Well, it heats water into steam and then propels it into the air as a mist and may help provide needed moisture to the air in your home.
Adding moisture to the air may help to alleviate symptoms of cold and flu or even dry skin and respiratory passages making dry winter or temperature-controlled air much easier on the entire respiratory tract.
To choose the Warm Mist Humidifier that is best for you will require you to understand the pros and cons of each unit and the reason you are looking to incorporate the unit into your household.
This review is going to get into the details, both good and bad, and help give you the information you can use to select the perfect unit for your needs. Here are a few determining factors you may need to consider before purchase.
- How large an area the unit can treat?
- Warm mist over cool mist
- Why you are in need of the unit, is it for occasional use or everyday use?
Here are the Top 8 picks and why they have been selected.
8 Best Warm Mist Humidifiers 2020
Vicks is a name that has been cemented in the cold and cough relief industry. This includes their sound foundation in the warm air humidifiers.
This unit has a 1-gallon capacity water tank that can produce steam for up to 12 hours without refilling the unit. The unit offers two comfort settings of steam temperature, and the steam is 95% bacteria free from the heating of the water into the steam. This can offer a more germ-free introduction of humidity into the room for easier breathing and less possible contamination.
Whisper quiet motor, up to 12-hour run time, auto shutoff when empty and a three-year warranty all help to add value to this unit while it supplies the needed moisture you need.
This unit has no filter that will need to be regularly maintained, and it offers two settings to help control the heat that the unit may put off into the room. With the addition of the medicine cup, you can add liquid medications to be delivered in the steam such as eucalyptus, or Vicks VapoSteam product to help relieve congestion. The see-through tank makes it easy to see the level of water in the tank at any time, and the tank itself has a built-in handle that makes the filling and carrying of the tank easier.
- This unit has no filter to need changing.
- Provide two different temperature settings.
- Offers the medicine cup for additional benefits.
- This unit has a med/large room rating.
- Can be used with tap water.
- Boils the water to provide a more bacteria free unit and steam.
- Steam is fan pushed into the room.
- Water in the unit is boiling in temperature and can cause burns if spilled.
- The heating unit may get a buildup and need to be cleaned periodically.
- Steam may be hot and not suitable for use around children.
- The unit may have sealing problems with the cap, and you should make sure it is secure, or it will leak.
- This unit has a night light feature that you cannot shut off.
This unit also has a long-standing company name behind it Boneco/Air-O-Swiss has been manufacturing and retailing humidifiers in North America since 2001 and Air-O-Swiss has a Swiss manufacturing history going back to 1956.
This unit is loaded with features, and the price tag reflects that somewhat. You may notice right off the bat that this unit is fairly large and has a 3.5-gallon tank making this unit more suited to being placed on the floor as it has a 10-lb dry weight.
It does offer steam from boiling water, and that helps to reduce the possibilities of any bacteria while the steam that is propelled into the room is warm and not scalding, making it safe around children.
This unit offers a large water storage tank that may last for over 24hours of continual use and has two settings auto-mode and Econo-mode and a hydrostat feature that can measure the humidity in the room and adjust to keep the level you want. This unit is designed for rooms up to 860-square feet, and the unit has a timer feature to turn the unit on and off automatically.
The unit is self-cleaning, and descaling with a simple mode selection and the unit offers refill and cleaning reminders.
- No filters needed.
- Steam is not a scalding temperature while the water is boiled for sanitary reasons.
- Can be used in a larger area than many units.
- Has auto on-off mode
- Offers descaling and cleaning mode.
- Has a large tank for long lasting water supply.
- This unit does offer a 3-year warranty.
- A bit on the expensive side.
- The unit is large and heavy even when dry.
- May not create the level of humidity you seek in rooms as large as 860-square feet.
- This unit may be a little noisier than you would expect it to be.
- You will need to order separately the materials needed to maintain the unit, descaling fluid, mineral pads, etc. and this can add to the daily cost of this machine.
This unit is simple to use and has pretty standard features but also comes with a sound customer review rating for reliability and ease of use.
Although this unit doesn’t feature some of the auto program features of other units, it is affordable and does an adequate job of maintaining the moisture in a smaller room. This unit is best used in a bedroom or small office space for best results.
This unit features a top fill tank for added ease in filling the unit and has a run time of approximately 24-hours per tank fill. This unit offers two operating levels, low and high so you can adjust the level to your needs and wants. It may bring the humidity level in a smaller room to between 40-60% for increased room comfort. The medicine cup feature allows for the use of inhalant type additives to help deliver additional benefits, and the unit offers an indicator light to let you know the tank needs refilling.
- Price is affordable to most.
- Has an easy to use manual knob for selecting the operating mode.
- 2 moisture settings for a more custom humidity level.
- Features auto shut off feature.
- The one-gallon tank is top fill, and this may lead to less leakage.
- This unit requires no filters.
- Illuminated power switch for adjusting in the dark.
- This unit offers a 3-year warranty.
- The heating unit can develop scale and need manual cleaning.
- The unit is rated for a medium sized room, but that may not be realistic for a 40-60 percent humidity range.
- The unit weighs 4lbs dry and may not be suitable for placement on a shelf.
- On the high setting, you may only get about 9hrs before the tank needs refilling.
- No fan to help push the mist into the room.
This is another affordable unit that may work well in a bedroom or office setting. Not large enough to provide adequate humidity in a larger room but according to customer reviews works well in a bedroom area. Provides warm mist that can help reduce stuffiness and may help relieve sore throat and nasal issues as well. This unit works well according to the manufacturer in rooms 500sq ft or less.
This unit is whisper quiet according to manufacturer information and has a one-gallon water tank that may last for up to 24 hours misting out 2.1 gallons of moisture per tank fill. This unit is equipped to turn itself off when the tank is empty and also features an auto shut off when the unit is tipped over for added safety. Clean control antimicrobial materials in the base reduce the possibilities of mold and bacteria, and the heated mist helps reduce the spread of colds and flu. This unit has the option of using liquid inhalants and is BPA free.
- Reasonably priced unit.
- Has two settings for mist control.
- Has an Illuminated control switch.
- Easy to use controls.
- May help reduce the buildup of mold in the base with the antimicrobial surface.
- BPA Free plastics.
- This unit needs no filter.
- The tank seems to crack easily.
- This unit will need to be descaled frequently according to customer reviews.
- The control light is always on, and some don’t care for this.
- The unit may be noisier than expected.
- There are customer complaints that the unit stopped working after just a couple of months.
This is another reasonably affordable humidifier that may be perfect for a small room or office, not really suitable for a large room or an entire house. The unit is a quick start unit and only requires 3 minutes to start putting warm mist steam into the room. The other features are comparable to other machines in the same price range, and the unit seems easy to use.
This unit features simple design and control, and the selector switch is easy to understand and use for anyone. The unit features an easy to remove 1-gallon tank with a top fill opening for replenishing the water. The unit also has a max fill indicator, so you don’t overfill the tank causing leakage. There are no messy filters to change, and this unit offers the ability of aromatherapy if you add essential oils into the provided area.
This unit is built to meet US voltage requirements, and the warranty only applies to units sold and used in the US. The integrated handle makes refilling the tank easy for everyone, and it offers two steam level settings. This unit, according to the manufacturer, runs for up to 24-hours on the low settings, but actual customers reported that this is not accurate, and the unit did not run that long on a single tank.
- Easy to use controls.
- Easy to refill the tank.
- According to reviews, this unit did not cause condensation on walls or furniture.
- This unit has a fast start time of 3 minutes.
- This unit is affordable but not cheap.
- This unit does offer a 2-year warranty to US residents
- The warranty is void outside the US, and the unit may not work with voltage modifying units.
- There were complaints that the auto-shutoff did not work properly.
- Even on low, the unit may not provide steam for a continuous 24-hours.
- The vapor spout cannot be adjusted.
- It seems that it may have power related issues in some homes and trips breakers.
This is another product from the Vicks manufacturer and is deemed a vaporizer but actually does humidify the air in the room with warm mist, so it acts as a humidifier. The product has changed a bit over the years, but this design has been a staple in the Vicks brand of vaporizers for as long as the company has been making these products.
This unit is as simple as it gets, add water, and plug the unit in, and it produces steam. No settings, no fancy features just steam. Now that being said, this unit produces hot steam and will need to be kept away from children. The unit is fairly light and could be placed in a relatively high position to avoid contact with children in their room.
This unit does offer a nightlight feature that will stay illuminated, and it features an auto-shutoff and 1.5-gallon tank that will provide steam for between 18-24 hours.
- Very Inexpensive unit.
- Light and portable.
- This unit uses simple technology to produce hot steam.
- This style of the unit has been used for years.
- You can use inhalant type products with this unit.
- Uses no filters.
- May not last as long as some other units.
- May require more cleaning than other units.
- Steam is Hot and may burn the skin if tipped over.
- The nightlight cannot be turned off.
- The electric rods seem to corrode quickly.
This is a CVS pharmacy branded product that is similar to the Vicks product detailed above. Simple to use and easy to clean this unit is designed for personal home use. You may notice that while using this product, you are able to add additional moisture to the air in your home to help alleviate some cold and flu symptoms, and the hot steam may help reduce bacteria.
Unlike other units described above, you must use the CVS website or visit the store in person to purchases this unit as it is not available from third-party retailers.
This unit offers an easy to clean 1-gallon tank and offers two steam level settings. This unit produces hot steam and should be kept out of reach of children. According to the manufacturer, this is a quiet running unit that offers a translucent water tank and can run for up to 24-hours on a single tank of water. The tank has a large lock-tight leak-proof closure, and the nightlight feature is large and helps provide adequate room light. The unit also offers a medication chamber so you can use medicinal inhalants with this product.
- Very affordable for most budgets.
- Easy to use controls.
- Has a chamber for using medications or essential oils to help reduce congestion.
- Has two available moisture production levels.
- Offers a nightlight feature.
- Can be purchased locally in a CVS pharmacy store.
- Has an auto-shutoff when water is low.
- Produces Hot steam and may cause burn on the skin.
- Auto-shutoff may be a cheaper design and not work with water level but exposed heating element.
- May cause unit damage if you run the unit out of water often.
- There are some complaints that the unit still requires manual cleaning of the heating unit, although some of the unit parts can go through the dishwasher.
This is another very affordable warm mist humidifier that should fit into just about everyone’s budget. Perfect for small rooms at the office this unit can produce steam for up to 24-hours on just one tank of water.
Although this unit may not properly humidify the entire house, it seems to do an adequate job for those using this unit in a single room in the house.
This unit has a slightly larger tank than some in the same price range and product size, a 1.7 gallon vs. the 1-gallon of many others. It offers two levels of steam production and requires no messy filter changes, and offers the auto-shut off.
- Has the slightly larger tank.
- Offers two levels of moisture.
- Offers a 1-year warranty on this unit.
- Can run for up to 24-hours on one tank.
- Not a lot of detail information available about this unit.
- Cannot find this unit on the manufacturer website only on a third-party site.
- This unit has a limited warranty time frame.
How to Choose the Best Warm Mist Humidifiers
As you can see, there are many varieties of warm mist humidifiers available today, and you will need to consider a couple of things in order to make a smart purchase.
We discussed them at the beginning of this review, and for the most part, these units retailed for under $50.00, so you should be able to find a unit in your price range.
How Large an Area the Unit Can Treat
Most of these units that disperse warm air are for small to medium room sizes, you can find a couple in the high-end price range that says they can do a large room or small home, but they can get pricey.
Warm Mist Over Cool Mist
This is somewhat of a personal choice, and many choose the warm mist for the purification of the steam through the heating process. New technology has made it easier to get humidity into your home using cool mist, but it may make the units harder to clean and not as sanitary.
Many cool mist units also cannot provide the same relief from congestion as they don’t allow for the use of eucalyptus or other additives.
Why Do You Want or Need the Unit?
Is it for everyday use or just for the cold you may have? The answer to this question may help you to decide your financial budget for the unit. It may pay-off, in the long run, to purchase a more expensive unit if you intend to use it every day. From research, it seems that all of these units have a very limited lifetime just due to the nature of the unit. Water and electricity equal corrosion so keep that in mind also.
Your health and breathing may benefit from the addition of a warm mist humidifier to your home, and this may also help with sleeping issues as well. Your need or want for a warm mist humidifier may simply be that your skin is dry, or you experience static electricity in your home.
Whatever the reason you can find the unit you are looking for with some research and take a closer look at the ones above any of these should be able to help your situation.