Traveling is fun and very rewarding as well. There are few things as interesting as getting to explore a new city or culture. While some of us travel in groups or pairs, many also opt to go solo with a backpack that also often includes a travel blanket.
Travel blankets are quite in demand for all the right reasons. In this article, we’ll look at why you need a travel blanket and how you can pick the right one. Moreover, we’ll also introduce you to eight of the best travel blankets 2019 on the market.
Let’s move ahead!
Why Do You Need a Travel Blanket
The job of a travel blanket is to keep you warm on the go. The best travel blanket is the one that you can easily carry around, even on the plane or bus.
They’re warm and comfortable but not heavy or huge. The best blanket offers comfort and tech-forward fabrics to provide you with the much-needed privacy and ease.
However, the best travel blanket is not only useful when you’re flying or on the bus. They provide more utility:
- They can keep you warm when you sit in a chair at the airport lounge waiting for your next flight.
- They’re also good for picnics and camping trips.
- They can also protect you against chilled weather as you take an early morning stroll while on vacation.
In addition to this, they also offer you peace of mind. Many of us feel uncomfortable using scratchy hotel comforters. We want our own blanket.
All these reasons are enough to start your search for the best travel blanket 2019.
When Do You Need a Travel Blanket
As the name suggests, a travel blanket is made for travel. You’ll need one whenever you decide to step out of your home. But traveling is all about packing light, then why should you worry about adding one more item to your list?
This is due to the utility they offer. In fact, many even consider travel blankets an essential part of travel.
One important thing is the fact that travel blankets are not used only when you do air travel or go to a different city or country. You may buy one to make it easier to travel to work or your neighborhood as well.
These blankets are plush and very easy to roll and secure. You need one not only for your holidays but for day-to-day travel as well. In addition to this, they also make for good gifts.
Anyone would enjoy a good travel blanket. You only need to make sure to pick the best travel blanket 2008 and you’ll be good to go.
In this guide, we’ll provide you with eight of the best travel blankets 2019 to make it easy for you to pick one.
Things to Consider Before Buying
There are many types of travel blankets out there. While we’ll provide you with some of the best travel blankets 2019, it’s still important for you to know what all to consider when picking one.
Let’s have a look:
- Size and Weight: This is one of the most important factors as you cannot afford to pick a blanket that’s too big or too heavy to carry. A heavy or big blanket can make it difficult to travel. You need an option that’s portable so that you don’t have to worry about weight limits either. Moreover, size must also be not too small. The blanket must be able to cover you fully.
- Packing Mechanism: Pick a blanket that is easy to pack so that you do not have to waste a lot of time packing and unpacking it. Some you can roll easily and some will only fold. We suggest you find a blanket that coms with a case so that it’s easy to carry.
- Texture: Most of us want our blankets to feel a certain way – usually silky and soft. However, some blankets can be very scratchy and uncomfortable. A soft blanket is not only comfortable but can also help you sleep peacefully so pay special attention to the texture.
- Maintenance: Pick a blanket that is easy to maintain, i.e: wash and dry. Some blankets take hours to dry which can be a pain when you’re traveling. You may not always have access to sunlight making it difficult to dry the blanket.
- Practical: These days, blankets are more than just blankets. Some come with additional features like bags, pillows, hoods, and pockets. This adds to the functionality so do consider this, too.
- Heat: What’s the use of having a blanket if it cannot keep you warm? Make sure to pick one that has the right thickness and warmth so that you don’t feel cold.
- The Look: When you go out, you want to make an impression. For this purpose, you must keep the look and style of the blanket in mind. While some look boring and dull, some can be quite attractive to look at. Shop around and you’ll find the right option.
We also suggest that you consider one of these blankets:
8 Best Travel Blankets 2019
Don’t worry about having to pick the best travel blanket 2019 on your own. We have made a list of eight best travel blankets for you to pick. Let’s have a look at our picks:
Plush Coral Fleece
100% Cotton Flannel
Built-in Metal Ground Stakes
Travelrest 4-in-1 Premier Class Travel Blanket with Pocket may not be the most visually attractive choice out there but it works well and acts quite like a luxury we all need.
It works not only as a blanket but as lumbar support and pillow as well. Moreover, it is very easy to fold and carry thanks to the strap.
The blanket slips over your head and doubles as a poncho. It fits your body perfectly so there is no risk of it slipping away.
It’s available in two sizes: 28×60 and 40×72 inches. The blanket is very comfortable thanks to the material but can be a bit difficult to pack as it’s quite slippery and needs to be packed properly or may get bulky.
- Comes with a carrying case
- The material is soft and plush
- Generate static
- Can be a pain to pack
Tucker 4-in-1 Travel Blanket and Pillow will keep you cozy and comfortable thanks to its unconventional design.
This blanket comes with an arm pouch and a hood for added comfort. Plus, it provides great coverage as well and can help maintain privacy.
The cotton fabric is comfortable and some nifty features, such as the front pocket, add more value to it. Plus, the hood comes with a removable pillow to make travel easier.
While this blanket is great for the upper body, it may not be enough to cover the legs.
- Light in weight (12 ounces)
- Very plush and comfortable
- Easy to wash and maintain
- Available in two sizes
- Not suitable for people over 5’9”
This is one of the few travel blankets that are available for two people as well.
The blanket is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use and can provide warmth in all weather conditions. It’s specifically good for outdoor use as it is waterproof and also resistant to pet hair, stains, and odors.
- Suitable for hiking and other such trips
- Made of ultra warm material
- Available in three sizes and multiple prints
- Is a bit slippery
- A little heavy at above 3 pounds.
If you are looking for a travel blanket that takes little to no space in your bag then pick Lug Nap Sac Blanket and Pillow. With dimensions of 35×46 inches, the blanket is big enough to cover your entire body, however, it’s just the size of the iPad once you close it in the sac.
This machine washable blanket is made of coral fleece and comes with a pillow. The unique fabric makes it one of the most comfortable blankets out there. Plus, it only weighs 12 ounces.
- Very easy to wash and maintain
- Plush and comfortable
- Has a loop attached
- Not suitable for people above 5’8”
- Customer service could’ve been better
This affordable blanket is highly compact when folded. Thanks to its huge size (63″x44″) it is suitable for almost all body types.
The blanket has built-in Metal Ground Stakes that make it easier to use in windy conditions.
It’s highly durable due to being tear, puncture, and water resistant. Plus, the comfort it provides is also excellent as it has a satin finish that feels soft on the skin.
- Very easy to store as it comes in a tiny pouch
- Comes with a hologram to verify the authenticity
- Can fit 2-3 people
- Excellent customer service
- May not resist water very well
- Can be difficult to fold
This travel blanket lives up to its name. It’s a premium product with some great features including a microfleece.
It works not only as a blanket but also as a nap pillow or cover role. It’s also easy to carry thanks to a carrying strap.
Taking care of the mat is also very easy. It rolls up in seconds and can be tucked away without any trouble.
With dimensions of 60×48 inches, it’s suitable for people of all sizes.
- The strap can attach with bags.
- Very light in weight (15 ounces)
- Good customer support
- Very warm and comfortable
- Can be difficult to fold in the beginning
- Is a little too big
If you need a waterproof travel blanket then this option can be a good choice. It’s suitable to carry to the beach and outdoor trips and is quite big (50×60 inches) as well.
Made of 100% polyester, it comes in a pouch making it easy to carry. The blanket is also easy to take care of since it’s machine washable and reversible (use both sides).
- Lightweight (1.8 pounds)
- Excellent customer support
- Easy to carry
- Available in multiple fabrics and colors
- May catch pet hair
- May not be suitable for very tall individuals.
Last on our list is Cabeau Fold ‘n Go Travel Blanket & Case which comes with a money back guarantee.
This plush blanket is made of French microfiber for more comfort and warmth. It is big enough (60×36 inches) to cover your entire body and is also easy to carry due to its compact case and lightweight.
The blanket works as lumbar support, seat cushion, or pillow. It’s machine washable, hence very easy to take care of.
- Easy to store and zip
- Attaches to your luggage
- Good customer support
- Very warm and soft
- Available in a single color (charcoal)
- Comes with fuzz that firs needs cleaning
These are some of the best travel blankets out there. Travelrest 4-in-1 Premier Class Travel Blanket is our favorite due to its amazing functionality and low rate. However, it’s a big in size. If you want a compact unit then go for Lug Nap Sac Blanket and Pillow. It’s only a few inches when kept in the sac.
All the options above are great. We suggest you pick one according to your requirements and budget.