Winter, it happens every year and its prime humidifier season. The winter months can leave your skin dry and can cause or contribute to breathing issues and nasal stuffiness.
You can combat the dryness of winter with the use of a humidifier in your home, but which one will help you get the symptom relief you need without adding to the problem? You need to have a basic understanding of what a humidifier does and the different types of humidifiers available so you can make the best possible choice for your needs.
In this review, we will provide you with some basic information and then give you our top six selections for winter use humidifiers.
Top 6 Humidifiers for Winter 2019
These top 6 humidifiers will include all three types of portable units available. These portable humidifiers can help you increase the humidity in your home during the winter months.
Levoit 6L large Room Humidifier
Tao Tronics Cool Mist Humidifier
Best Ultrasonic Cool Mist
Honeywell Cool-Mist Humidifier
Best Evaporative Cool Mist
Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier
Crane Cool Mist Humidifier
Vicks Warm-Mist Humidifier with Nightlight
1. Levoit 6L large Room Humidifier – Best Overall
This humidifier has taken the top spot for a variety of reasons. First, this unit offers both warm-mist and cool-mist in one humidifier, and this can be beneficial if you are on the fence about the type of humidifier you want. This unit also has a large capacity tank that can provide additional time between refilling and thus a longer continual run time in comparison to other portable units.
The unit has a built-in humidity sensor that can help to keep the humidity at a constant level, and you can choose from two mist level settings to help you dial in your perfect humidity level. There are an auto-shutoff feature and remote control and timer as well as an easy to read LED display panel for all the controls.
- 5- gallon tank
- Has an aroma diffuser feature.
- This unit can be used in a large room.
- Remote control and easy to understand one-touch controls.
- This unit is both a warm-mist and cool-mist humidifier.
- This unit has a 2-year warranty
- Complaints of possible leakage from the tank
- There were also some complaints that the unit never read the room humidity properly.
2. Tao Tronics Cool Mist Humidifier – Best Ultrasonic
This unit is the top choice for an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier. This unit has a microporous filter to help filter out micro-organisms and can effectively increase the humidity levels in large rooms. A built-in humidistat helps you keep track of the humidity levels in the room and allows for three mist levels.
This unit features a sleep mode and a nightlight feature. The sleep mode also allows you to turn the LED display off if you choose. The ultra-quiet operation makes this unit a good choice for the bedroom or nursery, and the auto-shutoff keeps the unit from running dry and causing problems.
- This unit can b used in larger rooms effectively.
- Is quiet enough for use in the nursery.
- Has three mist volume adjustments.
- Allows you to turn off the nightlight and LED display.
- Offers an 18-month warranty.
- This unit will require you to change and replace the filter.
- There is no ability to use as an aroma diffuser.
- Some complaints about leaking.
3. Honeywell Cool-Mist Humidifier – Best Evaporative
This unit takes the best evaporative humidifier spot. This is an easy to use evaporative humidifier that offers three-speed levels so you can adjust the moisture level. This unit easily provides the moisture needed to relieve winter skin and health issues and has an antimicrobial coating to inhibit up to 99% of bacterial growth.
This unit does not use ultrasonic pulse and will not cause the fine white dust particles that can occur with some ultrasonic units.
- This unit has a more updated style to its design.
- When on low, this unit can run for up to 36 hours.
- Easy to use one knob controls.
- Easy to see the water level and easy fill.
- This unit has a 3-year warranty.
- This unit will not contribute to condensation as it will not over humidify the surrounding air.
- No auto-shutoff on the fan.
- You will need to replace the filter regularly.
- The light that illuminates the water level may be brighter than you care for.
4. Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier – Best Warm-Mist
This humidifier is from a name brand that is synonymous with warm-mist humidifiers. This unit takes the top warm-mist spot and can easily handle the humidity in a single room. The warm mist ensures that the steam providing the moisture is 95% free of bacteria.
This unit can also be used with the Vicks inhalant vapor line of medications to provide additional decongestant capabilities and is easy to use. No filter is required for this humidifier, and the 1-gallon tank can provide continuous humidity for up to 24-hours between fill-ups.
- This unit is simple to use and has two speeds settings.
- Can be used with inhalant medications.
- This unit has a 3-year warranty.
- This warm-mist unit can help to warm the ambient air temperature in the room.
- No filters or wicks to change.
- Warm-mist humidifiers produce hot steam that may cause burns.
- The nightlight cannot be turned off.
- There were some reports of tank leakage.
- Can cause condensation in small rooms.
5. Crane Cool Mist Humidifier – Best Price
This unit is simple and easy to use and also easy on the budget; this humidifier is a cool-mist ultrasonic type and will require no filter or wick. This unit has a water droplet design and can easily blend with any room décor.
A 1-gallon removable tank makes refills easy and can run for up to 24-hours on a single fill-up. The tank is coated with an antimicrobial coating, and this can reduce up to 99% of bacteria and reduce the chances of mold growth.
- Has a cool look to it with the water drop design.
- Can treat a bedroom or office space easily.
- Easy to use controls.
- Offers a whisper-quiet operation.
- The mist spout can be rotated 360⁰.
- There is no ability for aromatherapy with this humidifier.
- Complaints that the water tank is too small.
- Some stated it was noisier than they had expected.
6. Vicks Warm-Mist Humidifier with Nightlight – Most Affordable
Although this is a warm-mist humidifier and may not be exactly the humidifier of your dreams, this little unit can get the job done. This is a simple unit that is easy to clean and has no wicks or filter to add to the long-term usage cost.
The 1.5-gallon tank allows for this unit to improve the humidity in a small to medium size room for up to 24 hours. The warm mist may also help to warm the ambient temperature of a room, making it more comfortable if you are battling an illness. This unit also offers both the use of a medicine cup or Vicks vapor pads to fill the room with medicinal scents.
- Very budget-friendly unit.
- This unit has a nightlight feature.
- There are no wick or filter maintenance costs to run this unit.
- The boiling of the water to produce the steam helps to reduce the spread of germs and mold growth.
- This unit does offer an auto-shutoff when the unit is low on water.
- The heating element may make this unit use more electricity than a cool-mist humidifier.
- The hot steam and hot water this unit uses may not be recommended around children.
- The nightlight cannot be turned off.
- May be prone to causing condensation in small rooms.
Things to Consider Before You Buy
Here are a few helpful things to keep in mind when you are selecting your new humidifier.
Q: What size is the primary room you intend to use this humidifier in?
The answer to this question is extremely important. If you choose a unit that is too small for the room, you will not reap the rewards and a unit that is too large for a specific room may cause condensation and mildew. The condensation and mildew issues may be worse in the winter months as the cooler ambient room temperature can affect these issues.
Q: Do you intend to use this humidifier around children?
If so, you may want to steer clear of the warm-mist type as they use hot steam and may cause burns. Warm-mist units may also increase condensation in a room in the cooler winter months.
Q: Do you mind changing filters?
Although changing the filter or wick is easy, it can add to the overall cost of the humidifier over time. On a good note here, they do help to provide clean vapor, and the evaporative humidifiers cannot over humidify a room. If you have a smaller room or a room that is prone to condensation, then an evaporative humidifier may be a good choice for your home, especially in the winter months.
Q: What budget do you have to spend on a humidifier?
This can be important as you need to look at the overall expense of running the unit long term. Filters will make the humidifier cost more in the long run and so might a warm-mist due to the cost of running the heating element.
The humidifier you choose to use in the winter can affect the ambient temperature in a room. Keep this in mind as a warm-mist unit may make a room feel warmer, and a cool-mist may cool down a room in the winter.
Spend a moment looking into how easy the unit is to maintain and clean. If you do not clean the humidifier regularly, you can spread bacteria and germs especially with cool-mist units
Using a humidifier in your home during the dry winter months can help alleviate many health issues that are related to a lack of humidity in winter air.
Selecting the best humidifier for your home for use in the winter months may seem a bit overwhelming, but a little research can help you make a good choice. You will need to choose the type of humidifier that fits your wants and needs as well as your lifestyle so you can enjoy the benefits a humidifier can bring into your home.
Pay attention to the details about each type of humidifier so you can make an educated selection. If you intend to use the humidifier in the bedroom, then an ultra-quiet running unit may be what you need, whereas if the unit is in the living room, you may need a larger water tank to provide adequate humidity.
Different features will entice different people and knowing what features you want in a humidifier before you start seriously shopping for one can help you narrow down the search. Select your humidifier wisely, and you will enjoy using the unit and prosper from the health benefits for years.