Wrinkles can appear in any piece of clothing and can make you look like a disheveled mess. No one wants to look like a walking wrinkle, but today most people find themselves too busy or uninterested in spending the necessary time to iron their clothes.
Ironing requires a bit of talent to get it right, or you could end up scorching your clothes or putting a crease in the wrong place, and ironing on collars and cuffs can be downright troublesome and tedious.
In the past, you had to resort to taking your clothes to the cleaners to get them steamed, but like all things, technology has helped create a portable handheld clothes steamer that might help you remove wrinkles quickly and not damage your wardrobe doing it.
One of the biggest advantages of these handheld clothes steamers is that they are extremely portable and can be taken with you when traveling, and this means wrinkle-free attire whenever you need to look your best.
Our Top 8 Best Handheld Steamers for 2019
Coming in in our top spot is:
Hilife Handheld Clothing Steamer
6.9 x 6.5 x 5.9 in
Beautural Handheld Clothes Steamer
Great Power and Portable
6 x 4.3 x 10.7 in
MagicPro Handheld Garment Steamer
Larger Water Tank
12.7 x 7 x 5.3 in
Perfect Day Handheld Clothes Steamer
7.5 x 6.4 x 4.8 in
ISteam Handheld 7 in 1 Steamer
8 x 5.5 x 3.3 in
Rowenta Handheld Steamer
8 x 6 x 11 in
PurSteam Handheld Steamer
85.8 x 88.2 x 86.6 in
Bissel Power Fresh Handheld Steamer
More Than a Garment Steamer
14 x 9.5 x 46.5 in
1. Hilife Handheld Clothing Steamer – Best Overall
This unit offers a large 240ml water tank and can offer up to 15 minutes of continuous steaming. The portable size is perfect for travel and can easily be stored in a drawer when not in use.
A clear water tank allows you to see the water level in real-time, and this unit is lightweight and powerful enough for all fabric types.
You can easily keep your wardrobe looking fresh from the cleaners with this handheld steamer.
- This unit is reasonably priced.
- This steamer has a long 9’2” cord for ease of use.
- It has a large tank for extended run time.
- This unit can be used for steam cleaning other items as well as clothes.
- The manufacturer offers a 3-year warranty.
- Not the most powerful steamer available.
- This unit doesn’t have a trigger and produces a constant stream of steam when plugged in.
- Some complaints that it didn’t do a good job on deep wrinkles.
2. Beautural Handheld Clothes Steamer – Great Power and Portable
This handheld clothing steamer is packing 1200 watts of steaming power into a compact portable size that makes it a perfect travel companion.
You can safely use this steamer in either a vertical or horizontal position without leakage, and this steamer is ready to go in 30-seconds.
The ability to steam horizontally may help you disinfect the bedding in a hotel room without having to worry about water spilling out of the steamer.
- This unit offers a bit more power than some of the others and may work better on heavier fabrics.
- This unit can be used horizontally without the worry of leaks.
- This unit comes with a few attachments and a lint brush.
- The manufacturer offers a 90-day full refund and 24-month warranty.
- There were some complaints about the product leaking after a couple of uses.
- Some were dissatisfied with the amount of steam the unit produced.
- This unit is more expensive than some comparable steamers.
3. MagicPro Handheld Garment Steamer – Larger Water Tank
Having a large 300ml water tank on this handheld steamer helps produce continuous steam long enough to get the job done. This unit is portable but can steam as well as a full-sized unit and packs 1500 watts of power.
You can use this steamer in either a vertical or horizontal position, and this may make it easier for use on some garments like pants or sheets.
- This steamer is ready to go in less than 30-seconds.
- It can be used with attachments on different types of fabrics.
- Safe and easy to use and leak-proof.
- This unit has an auto shut off feature for your protection.
- The manufacturer’s warranty is for 1-year.
- The warranty seems a bit short when compared with other handheld steamers.
- It is a bit more expensive than some other units.
- May have some reliability issues.
4. Perfect Day Handheld Clothes Steamer – Great Value
With 800 watts of power and 8 steam dispensing nozzles, this compact little steamer is ready to freshen up your clothing without breaking the budget.
Perfect for travel and unique leak-proof design help make this a great little steamer for a great price. A removable nozzle head makes this unit even more compact for travel or storage, and an easy to fill water tank reduces hassles.
- Easy on the budget.
- Has a removable head to make storage and travel easier.
- This unit comes with a fur brush attachment for removing lint and debris.
- It features an auto-shutoff feature for your safety.
- The manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty and free replacement within 30-days if needed.
- Might be a bit underpowered for heavier fabrics.
- The tank capacity is quite small.
- It may not work well for horizontal use.
5. ISteam Handheld 7 in 1 Steamer – Multiple Use
You can tackle more than just clothes with this handheld steamer. Featuring auto shut off and steam ready in just 60-seconds, this is a perfect travel companion.
You can use this unit to quickly clean and sanitize your living area or adjust the humidity in a small room and without the nozzle spitting out water droplets.
- Affordable on any budget.
- It can disinfect surface areas and boost humidity levels.
- It is TSA approved for carry-on luggage.
- It doesn’t work at an angle.
- Some reliability issues.
- May spew hot water if used improperly.
- It might be a bit small compared to other multi-use handheld steamers.
6. Rowenta Handheld Steamer – More Powerful
This steamer packs 1600 watts of steaming power along with a 200ml tank to make easy work of removing wrinkles from your garments.
With two steam settings, you can customize the amount of steam the unit produces and further protect your delicate fabrics.
- Powerful and delicate in the same steamer.
- It comes with useful accessories like a lint brush.
- Ready in just 40-seconds.
- It can reduce germs by 99% on furniture and curtains.
- This unit costs more than other handheld steamers.
- The weight of this unit is more than some of the other handheld steamers.
- May spit some boiling water at certain angles.
- It has a limited reach.
7. PurSteam Handheld Steamer – Most Versatile
The Pur Steam handheld steamer is a bit different than the other handheld type of clothing steamers as it can do many things, including remove wrinkles and steam your clothing.
The design of this unit requires the use of attachments and an extension hose if needed. The product comes with several attachments designed for cleaning and sanitizing many surfaces and steaming fabrics and carpeting.
This unit is a more multi-purpose home unit and not a compact travel-friendly unit like some of the other handheld clothing steamers.
- It can be used for many surfaces and clothing, and fabrics.
- It may be more budget friendly as it is so multi-functional.
- This unit comes with the 9-piece attachment package.
- You can start and stop the steam via the trigger.
- The trigger may be tough to keep compressed while working.
- It might be a bit large and bulky for use only as a clothing steamer.
- Some complaints about the product not performing as advertised.
8. Bissel Power Fresh Handheld Steamer – More Than a Garment Steamer
This is another multi-use steamer that can steam the wrinkles out of your clothing and also help you sanitize your entire home.
The design of this handheld steamer lets you take the handheld steamer base you would use for freshening up your wardrobe and attach a steam mop head or an extension wand and tools to get the whole house looking on point.
- This unit is extremely versatile and can offer more than some other steamers.
- The unit comes with the additional tools and a clothing steamer head.
- May produce more steam and work better than some of the other handheld clothing steamers.
- It can allow you to reach the tops of drapes or bedding easier than other handheld steamers.
- It comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Not as portable as other handheld clothing steamers.
- Some feel it is too cumbersome to use regularly.
When Do You Need A Handheld Clothes Steamer?
There are so many possibilities, and it could vary from person to person, but let’s take a look at some real possibilities that a majority of people can relate to.
1. Traveling for Business
Here is possibly one of the top reasons that you could find a real need to have a handheld clothes steamer available to you.
You would never want to show up for a business meeting or client interaction with a wrinkled suit or shirt. Even if the hotel you stay in provides an iron if you don’t have good ironing skills, you could still look unkempt. A handheld steamer is fast and efficient and can get you to that meeting looking sharp and is easier to use than an iron.
2. Quick Touchups for Any Social Event
Again, having a handheld clothes steamer can help you look your best for any social event you could have pop up. You can quickly smooth out any wrinkles that could have been caused during transport to the event, and you don’t have to worry about possibly burning your garment while trying to quickly remove a few wrinkles.
3. You Want Wrinkle-Free Clothes but Can’t Iron Worth a Bean
Although a handheld clothes steamer will not put creases in your pants, they are much easier to use as a whole than an iron. If you struggle with using an iron and can’t seem to get the wrinkle-free look you are looking for, you may find using a handheld clothes steamer is just what you need.
4. Might Be a Better Alternative for Your Teen to Use on Their Clothes
If you have those teens that want their clothes to be wrinkle-free and a polished look for school, a clothes steamer may be safer for both the clothes and your teen. Although clothes steamers use hot steam to remove wrinkles, they don’t have that hot flat surface that may get left on fabric too long, causing the fabric to burn. The same applies to your child; there is no hot surface to burn your hands or other body parts on.
5. You Need to Remove Wrinkles from Delicate Fabrics
You would never use a hot iron on fabrics like silk or satin, as you would most likely ruin the fabric. Having a clothes steamer could help you keep these types of fabrics wrinkle-free without destroying the garment.
You could save yourself trips to the dry cleaners with your delicate clothing, and this could help you save some money and even let you expand your wardrobe with fabrics you might have steered clear of before.
6. You Are Looking for a Useful Gift
A portable handheld steamer is an excellent gift for a college-bound student or a wedding. The gift possibilities are not limited to these events and a good idea for holidays and birthdays as well.
As an alternative to an iron and ironing board, these are an easy to use and welcomed gifts.
How Do You Use a Handheld Clothes Steamer?
Well, the concept is simple, fill the steamer with water, let it heat up, and then point the steam towards the article of clothing you want to be steamed.
Now each steamer will have recommendations from the manufacturer for use, and there are some nuances that can make your steamer work better and help you get better results.
- Hang shirt or jacket on a clothes hanger before you apply the steam-
- Use your hand to help smooth out wrinkles as you go.
- Put pants on a pant hanger or smooth surface.
- Steam the garment from top to bottom.
- Keep a few inches away from the fabric to prevent any mishaps.
- You will need to allow the fabric to dry after you steam the garment.
- Some fabrics may be better steamed turned inside out to help reduce the possibility of any mishaps with designs or logos.
Anyone who likes to have a neat and tidy appearance could benefit from having access to a handheld clothes steamer. Even if you have and use an iron, sometimes a steamer might be a better choice for a particular instance or fabric.
Handheld clothes steamers are compact in size and easy on the pocketbook, so you may want to add one to your laundry arsenal so you can always look your best. They say that clothes make the person but not if they are full of wrinkles.
These steamers come in an array of sizes and shapes and steaming abilities, so you should do a little research to find the handheld steamer that is going to serve your needs best.
If you are a constant traveler for work, then you won’t want a multi-use steamer, but a portable garment only steamer and a stay at home mom may prefer a larger, more versatile unit.
Get your wardrobe in shape fast and easy with a handheld clothing steamer and boost your personal appearance to the next level.