Without hot water, how is a shower even complete, right? A tankless water heater is much safer and provides an uninterrupted supply of hot water without storing the water in a tank. It reduces the bulk and size of the heater and also reduces the risk of diseases that develop near stagnant water. You might be thinking that the selection is a new dilemma.
But our product reviews of the best electric tankless water heaters in the market will help you find the best ones out there with plenty of features. Do not forget to take a look at the comparison between gas and electric tanks for a better idea.
Electric vs. Gas Tankless Water Heaters
One of the most common debates that you will find around the world is about the power source of electric and gas. Both of them come with positives and negatives, but we will discuss them in the light of tankless water heaters.
Propane gas based heaters provides more hot water than electric units can provide. They are readily available in rural, and even urban areas. The gas fueled water heaters tend to need venting which can produce heavily harmful gasses. These can be profoundly harmful to your family and the environment.
Electric systems are becoming more popular in usage. They are a great option around the house and can be very energy efficient. They are little expensive but energy efficient. Electric heaters are also great as they do not require much maintenance. However, if the temperature is set too high, they can explode. They are also not suitable for very cold environments as they can seize to work.
8 Best Electric Tankless Water Heater Reviews 2020
1. EcoSmart ECO
The EcoSmart tankless water heater works on electricity as its primary power source. This tankless water heater comes with self-modulating technology that allows the flow of the energy to be maintained. The right amount of energy will enable it to be friendly to the environment.
This heater can heat up to 2 gallons per minute. The design is made compact and easy to install. The heater runs on 240 volts and maximum amps for it is 57. It can help provide heat from 80 degrees Fahrenheit to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. The thermostat allows easy settings of the temperature.
This eco-friendly tankless water heater is a smart option for your house and can help you save up to 50% of your costs on bills.
However, people living in areas that have a temperature below 67 degrees Fahrenheit will not benefit from it. This machine is not designed to work in lower temperatures. Another deal breaker that you may find in this machine is that it is not suitable for apartments and places with a higher altitude.
- The heater is eco-friendly with its self-modulating system
- This heater provides up to 2 gallons per minute of heated water
- There are various temperatures which can be set with the thermostat easily
- The machine is compact and easy to install around the house
- This tankless water heater is not suitable for very cold places
- This water heater cannot be installed on heights
The Stiebel Eltron Tankless water heater is a great way to get hot water more conveniently than form traditional tanks. The machine requires no venting which makes it easy to install anywhere around the house.
The temperature of this heater can be digitally set, and the device has the potential to keep the temperature constant with the flow control easily. The heating chambers are made of solid copper which gives the machine overall durability and reliability. This tankless water heater runs on 240 volts efficiently around the house.
The temperature of the water can be set between 86 degrees Fahrenheit to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. The least flow to activate the unit is about 0.50 gallons per minute which makes the heater flow efficiently. Overall, the machine will help you reduce your electricity bills as well.
Apart from all great features it lacks the remote control access to adjust the settings.
- The temperature can be adjusted between 86 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit with the digital adjuster
- Least flow required to get the machine running saves water
- Compact design requires no venting and easy installation
- The temperature can automatically be set in case of fluctuation
- There is no remote control to adjust the settings
- It cannot work at high altitudes
3. Eccotemp L10
The Eccotemp tankless water heater is a compact and portable water heater that can be used for indoor and outdoor purposes. This tankless water heart runs on a liquid propane tank. About 20 lbs will give you a long time of heated water.
For safety, the machine has a safety automatic shut down feature if the unit is run for too long or the direction is tilted to a 45-degree angle or more. The user can enjoy temperatures from 50 to 140 degree Fahrenheit. At about 2.6 gallons per minute, this unit is a great way to enjoy outdoors and indoors with hot water.
There is an electrical ignition to run the machine quickly. The portability of this machine is defined by its easy use of 2 D cell batteries which are an alternate power source. It can be used anywhere you like because it run on the batteries as well. However, the efficiency of heating water comes down in very cold conditions.
- Automatic shut off feature
- Electric ignition start
- Adjustable temperature
- Compact, lightweight, and easy to carry anywhere you like
- It cannot resist the weather without protective layers
- Cannot work under very cold conditions
4. SIO Green
The SIO green tankless water heater uses standard 220 volts that can be used around the house like a regular appliance. This tankless water heater is very safe as it uses no metal elements. This feature allows it to be safe from corrosion and other maintenance issues.
The compact size and lightweight feature come together in versatility with the option to install it indoors or even outdoors without a problem. The thermostat allows users to adjust the temperature as per their preference. The small LCD screen shows the display.
This tankless water heater requires no harmful venting and is made of recycled materials which make it green. Easy installation makes for a more convenient unit. This water heater is best for anybody and everybody that like to take of the planet for one. It does not require venting of harmful gasses which makes it safe.
You might face some issue with water pressure, except that this unit is highly suitable for bigger homes and families.
- This tankless water heater is great for bigger families and house despite being small and lightweight
- The water heater can be installed indoors and even outdoors while fighting the weather
- There are up to four different temperature settings
- The machine is made of recycled materials and does not require venting
- There is no auto shut off feature for safety
- The unit cannot adjust the flow temperature
The Titan SCR2 N-120 tankless water heater works as an efficient heating device on 220 volts and 54 amperes. It has a temperature control knob on the front of its cover which helps you adjust the temperature of the hot water.
This tankless heater is small and compact, small and compact, hence can be installed in tight spaces. You don’t need the service of a professional plumber to install it saving you an upfront cost. The water heater needs to be installed close to the point of use otherwise hot water will take time to reach the outlet.
Moreover, since the Titan SCR2 N-120 is a small heater you can only use it for a limited number of outlets. It is ideal for two bathtubs but not more. The manufacturer recommends it to use in warm climate (65F) that means it is not ideal to use in cold climates.
- Heats up in a couple of seconds
- The thermostat helps adjust the temperature of water according to your requirements
- The heater is very durable, lasts for almost 5-8 years.
- The company provides a free replacement in case of any problems and has a very efficient customer service department.
- Can only heat up water for two baths and not more, due to its small size
- Should be installed near to the water outlet otherwise heating up will take up time and will not be efficient as energy losses will occur along the pipes.
The Rheem RTEX – 13 is a compact electric tankless heater that can fulfill some of your residential heating requirements efficiently by cutting down on heating and electricity bills. It uses 240 volts to heat up water quickly and provides 4 gallons of heated water per minute.
It measures comes with an LED display and thermostat. The LED display accurately and digitally shows the temperature of the heated water in Fahrenheit and the thermostat lets you adjust the temperature quickly. There are two heating coils in this tankless heater that are made of durable copper.
The Rheem RTEX – 13 requires more power to work, but it is energy efficient in the long run. The cost of the heater itself can be recovered due to its efficient energy saving. However, the product is not registered and certified by ‘Star Energy’ so it cannot be counted as sustainable or green energy.
- Its two copper heating elements heat water up in a matter of seconds
- The heater boasts of a very easy to install method using only a couple of wires and adapters
- The digital LED display shows you the exact temperature of the water at any given time
- Its thermostat allows you to adjust and change the temperature according to your requirements
- The heater keeps the water at one constant temperature for an extended period.
- The customer service department is rapid and will handle refunds and replacements if required.
- It provides 4 gallons per minute and can only heat up water for two bathtubs at a time
- The product is not a ‘Star certified’ product, therefore, is not eligible for a green energy rebate in your bills.
It is another product by Rheem, but this particular model is bigger and more powerful. It has two heating chambers with two heating elements made of durable copper. It allows for water to be heated.
The Rheem RTEX – 18 works on 240 volts and provides 7 gallons of water per minute! It is very quick and effortless to install and comes with a digital display LED for temperature and a thermostat to regulate temperature.
The digital display shows an accurate temperature of the heated water to the nearest degree. This water heater heat up more water; providing hot water to quite a few water outlets at once. Not only does it provide hot water very quickly, but it also makes sure that the temperature remains constant throughout.
This tankless water heater requires a large amount of power to work, but it saves energy and electricity in the long run. It might be slightly heavy on your budget, but it will cut your electricity bills down and will help you recover its cost in 2 to 3 years.
- Lightning fast heating
- Two heating chambers make it robust and efficient, allowing it to heat more gallons of water per minute
- LED displays the accurate temperature of the water
- The thermostat allows you to regulate the temperature of the water efficiently
- Durable copper heating elements make the tankless heater last for a minimum of 4 to 6 years
- It cuts down on your electricity bills, helping you recover the initial expenses in a couple of years
- The company has an efficient support department that will help in case of any problems with the product
- It is slightly heavy on the pocket
- Takes up more space due to its size
The Bosch tankless water heater provides 3.3 gallons per minute when running on 240 volts. It can efficiently run two bathrooms at once or as the manufacturer claims; it can be used for one major water outlet at a time.
It is a very large and powerful water heater that has been successful in providing heated water in climates where temperatures drop down to minus 10 degrees Celsius. It takes up more space but at the same time heats a larger volume of water.
The Bosch WH27 Tronic Electric tankless water heater has the Energy Star certification, helping you get the green energy rebate in your electricity bills. The product also comes with a warranty that can help ensure that your investment does not go to waste.
This water heater does not have a thermostat and temperature can only be set at one setting. Moreover, it is expensive, with high installation costs but it will easily last you 20 to 30 years.
- Very powerful and quick water heating mechanism
- The unit has two heating modules
- The durable unit can work for up t 20 -30 years
- Comes with a 10-year warranty
- Energy Star certification helps in reducing electricity and heating bills
- One needs to install the unit correctly. You can take assistance from an electrician or plumber which drives up installation costs
- The heater takes up more space and is slightly bulky
How to Select the Best Electric Tankless Water Heater?
Before buying a tankless water heater, you must decide which one is suitable for your requirements. To finalize your buying decision, you must look for certain features.
1. Energy Consumption
A tankless water heater should be energy and cost efficient. It should reduce electricity and heating bills of a house by almost 20 percent (varies according to the size and usage).
2. Installation Cost
Installation of a tankless heater is not just a simple plug and play thing. You need to consult a professional plumber to get a quote for the installation cost.
3. The Rate of Flow
You won’t need a same GPM output for an apartment as compared to the five bedroom house. The heating in a tankless water heater depends a lot on the amount of water flowing through the heater per minute.
If large volume of water passes the heater, and the heating element is not powerful enough to heat all the water, you will get lukewarm water as the output. To prevent this from happening you must buy a tankless heater with a heating element powerful enough to heat the amount of water you use efficiently.
4. Size of the Heater
Tankless heaters do not have water storage tanks so you need to carefully select the size of the heater to never run out of hot water. You can determine the size of your heater by the following three steps:
- First and foremost, you should list down the appliances that will use the water heater. Then you should calculate how many gallons of water they use per minute. It is the rate of water flow that will help you determine the size of the tankless water heater you need. You need the total rate of flow of each water outlet. For this, you must add up the rate of flow of every hot water outlet you want.
- Secondly, you need to know the temperature you want your water at and the temperature rise required to bring the water to your desired temperature. You can easily do this by subtracting your current average unheated water temperature with your desired hot water temperature.
- Lastly, the above steps will help you determine that you need to get a water heater that raises the temperature of the total water you use to your desired output temperature in one minute. It will help you in selecting a tankless heater with a heating system that matches your requirements.
Your water heater should come with a warranty for the heat exchanger. You must buy a heater with a warranty so that you don’t regret the money you have invested. You can call the company for any problems you may face in the future to change the product or replace parts as and when needed. A warranty of 6 to 15 years is ideal when buying a tankless heater as it is a durable and long lasting appliance.
The problem is how dangerous tanked water heaters can be right? Live Science just covered a story on how a tanked water heater (or a geyser) killed a person. The best alternative in this situation is to get tankless water heaters.
Tankless water heaters are powerful devices that provide endless supplies of hot water and are much cost and energy efficient in the long run. You will never run out of hot water once you size, select and install the correct tankless water heater. We hope this post has been very beneficial for you in deciding which water heater to get for yourself. If you found our information useful, let us know and share it with your friends and family so that they too can enjoy long, hot showers.