A cool-mist humidifier may hold the solution for you if you are suffering from overly dry household air. How can you tell if the air in your home is too dry? Well, you may notice that your skin is dry and ashy looking or that you have static cling and static electricity building up and zapping you every time you touch something.
You may also notice that wood items in your home have started to crack and show excessive wear or that your suffering from nasal or breathing issues. These are the classic signs that the air in your home is too dry and could benefit from having moisture replenished with a humidifier.
If this is your first time considering a cool-mist humidifier for your home, you may feel overwhelmed with the volume of units available on the market today so let’s take a look at cool mist humidifiers and see which ones could provide you the most benefit for your home.
There are two varieties of cool mist humidifiers available, evaporative, and ultrasonic, and this review will include both types and the best selection of both.
Top 10 Best Cool Mist Humidifiers 2019
My first pick is what I consider the best overall pick for function and price available.
Everlasting Comfort Cool Mist Humidifier
Best Overall Pick
Proscenic 807C Humidifiers
Good Unit for the Price for a larger room
Levoit Humidifier for Large Rooms
Best Dual Humidifier for the Money
iTeknic Cool Mist Humidifier
Easy to use and maintain
Levoit Cool Mist Humidifier
Small unit perfect for use in the office
Honeywell MistMate Cool Mist Humidifier
Extremely budget-friendly unit
Honeywell Germ-Free Cool Mist Humidifier
Bets Evaporative Type Cool Mist Humidifier
Vicks Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier
A good unit and a trusted brand name
Vornado EV100 Cool Mist Humidifier
Large room evaporative humidifier for a budget-friendly price
iTvanila Cool Mist Humidifier
Good for home and office
1. Everlasting Comfort Cool Mist Humidifier – Best Overall Pick
This unit seems to provide the most bang for your buck in single room cool mist humidifiers. Featuring a larger water tank than many and providing ample cool mist to provide the needed humidity in a room up to 400sq feet.
This unit is an ultrasonic model, and that means that there is no filter or wick to require changing, and the unit is economical to run as there are no heating elements. Considered safe to have in a child’s room as there is no hot water and burn risk of hot steam and the unit features a night light that you can turn off if needed.
- Has a large tank for longer continuous run time.
- No wick or filter needed.
- Essential oil tray for adding scent or medicine.
- Night light feature can be turned off if you want.
- Has emergency and auto shut-off features.
- According to the reviews, this unit is quieter than many ultrasonic units.
- Features a 2-year warranty.
- If the water tank is not kept clean, the unit may disperse the contamination into the vapor and into the room air.
- This unit may drip condensation when you are refilling the tank.
- Refilling the tank is a bit awkward as the unit is not a top fill.
2. Prosenic 807C Ultrasonic Air Humidifier – Best Dual Humidifier for the Money
If you are undecided about choosing either a cool mist or warm mist unit, then this may be the best choice for you. This unit features both options and comes in a close second to the above unit and offers some cool features like an app to control humidity levels and mist volume and even features voice control through Alexa app.
This unit offers some features like touch control and the ability to convert from cool to warm and still remain budget friendly.
- Features a HEPA air filter to provide additional air purity.
- Has a touch control LED display panel that offers a self-sensing nighttime dimmer.
- Offers 360⁰ Vapor nozzle.
- This unit offers a memory function and app control.
- This unit offers a negative ion Bacteriostatic function for added purification.
- Has a baby mode for keeping baby’s room at the perfect humidity for better sleep quality.
- Offers seven different speeds for vapor volume.
- Offers both cool and warm mist options.
- Retails price may put this unit outside the budget for some.
- Has a heating feature and may not be as safe around children as a unit that features just cool mist.
- May cause condensation in a room if used in the warm mist setting.
- Requires filters and that can add additional cost to maintaining the unit.
- The unit may leak water if moved while there is water in the tank.
3. Levoit Humidifier for Large Rooms- Good Unit for the Price for a larger room
This unit is another cool mist and warm mist combo unit and features the ability to use a remote control to set the humidity and mist volume levels. This unit is designed in the US and offers ABS plastic for added durability and safety.
Offering a touch panel LED display with room humidity sensing capabilities that may help maintain comfort levels with little or no adjustment from you. This unit offers a large 1.5-gallon water tank and can easily handle larger rooms and office space.
- This unit offers both cool and warm mist options.
- You can control the unit with a provided remote control.
- This unit can read and display the humidity level in the room.
- Offers a 360⁰mist nozzle and high output mist setting.
- The heating element may kill bacteria.
- This unit offers aromatherapy abilities.
- This unit requires no filters.
- Internal water temperatures could cause burns when using warm mist features.
- May cause condensation on wood floors.
- May not be safe around children due to the heating features.
- The retail price may put this unit out of reach for some budgets.
- There were complaints that the units didn’t last very long, but this could be due to poor maintenance from the consumer.
4. iTeknic Cool Mist Humidifier – Easy to use and maintain
This unit is portable and easy to use, but that doesn’t mean it lacks the ability to get the job done. This is a cool mist only unit that can run for up to 60-hours on the lowest mist setting and can project the mist up to 24in into the room for superior coverage.
No fancy LED displays or remote-control features to cause problems, simple dial control, and easy to fill and clean tank.
- Simple to use and easy to understand knob control.
- Economical retail price.
- No heat feature to add cost to the electric bill.
- Has a 360⁰mist head and can propel mist up to 2ft.
- Features an auto-shutoff feature for safety.
- Has a handle to make lifting the tank easier.
- Has a large tank opening for easy fill and cleaning?
- Claims to be extremely quiet.
- Features a 2-year warranty.
- Lacks some features that other units offer.
- All reviews I can find on this unit are five stars and that sometimes leaves me feeling uneasy about how honest the reviews are.
5. Levoit Cool Mist Humidifier – Small unit perfect for use in the office
This unit has a small tank capacity, so it will require filling more often than many others, so that’s why I have it listed for the office. Although this unit may work well for small rooms in the home, I feel you would constantly be filling the unit, making it better for infrequent use and not a unit you would use for continuous run time.
- Offers a top fill design and an easy to clean tank.
- The unit allows you to place essential oils in the water directly.
- There are no filters to change on this unit.
- The unit is ultra-quiet according to the manufacturer.
- Sleep mode turns off the LED light on the controls.
- This unit has a built-in humidity sensor to maintain humidity levels.
- Offers a 2-year warranty.
- Has an incredibly small tank at not even a ½ gallon capacity.
- I question the 20 hours continuous run time with such a small tank capacity.
- Customers have complaints about the products essential oil dispersant and claim it’s not a good diffuser.
- It seems a little high priced for such a small unit.
6. Honeywell MistMate Cool Mist Humidifier – Extremely budget-friendly unit
This unit is a cool-mist only and is simple and easy to use. Perfect for home or office use and offers a clear tank and sleek look that can blend into any decor. Economical to use and easy to maintain this unit is priced right and can easily fit into most household budgets.
- Has several color options available.
- Considered safe for use around children or in the baby’s room.
- Features an auto-shutoff.
- Easy to fill and clean tank with large opening.
- This unit is simple and easy to use with no complicated display or remote.
- No filters.
- Has a small tank capacity at a ½ gallon.
- Not a unit you would use in a large room.
- You are limited on features when compared to other units.
7. Honeywell Germ-Free Cool Mist Humidifier – Bets Evaporative Type Cool Mist Humidifier
This is not an ultrasonic humidifier and uses a wick and fan to provide humidity. Perfect for the bedroom or nursery as the evaporative cool mist humidifiers don’t allow for over humidifying the room. A sleek look and slightly larger size make this a good choice for the home.
- Won’t cause condensation on windows or other furniture in the home.
- Has an ultraviolet feature for purification of the mist to reduce the possibility of germs.
- Can run for up to 24-hours on the low setting.
- Safe to use around children and in the baby’s room.
- Quiet and may provide a hint of white noise from the fan.
- Requires changing of the wick and that can add to the cost.
- There are less expensive evaporative humidifiers available.
- Mold and bacteria can still build up in this nit if not properly maintained.
8. Vicks Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier – A good unit and a trusted brand name
The Vicks name is well known in the vapor/mist humidifier industry. This unit is an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier that allows for the use of Vicks scent pads to provide medicated vapors to permeate the humidity mist and help ease breathing and congestion.
This makes this unit good for helping to ease cold, and flu symptoms and help provide relief from stuffy noses.
- A well-known and trusted brand name.
- Larger tank capacity for longer continuous run time.
- The ability to use the scent pads for extra relief.
- This unit is quiet running.
- No filters or wicks to change.
- This unit is easy to clean and fill.
- Price is budget friendly.
- Lacks some of the features found on similarly priced units.
- Complaints of pink mold growth.
- Others complained the unit seemed temperamental.
9. Vornado EV100 Cool Mist Humidifier – Large room evaporative humidifier for a budget-friendly price
This unit is the evaporative type of humidifier and is capable of providing a boost in humidity to med/large rooms. This unit offers a sleek design and modern look that will complement both home and office. Longer run time and quiet operation allows for the use of this unit easily in both the home and office environment.
- This product is made in the USA.
- This unit has an easy to clean and fill tank.
- This unit has a 1-gallon tank and a longer run time than some other units.
- Offers a 5-year satisfaction guarantee.
- Easy to use and understand controls.
- Does use a wick that will need changing.
- Can develop bacteria in the wick if it is left in water.
- There is no visible mist from this unit, and that can leave you wondering how well it works.
- Has a fan and might be a little noisier than other units.
- Price may be out of the budget for some.
10. iTvanila Cool Mist Humidifier – Good for home and office
This unit is good for both home and office and offers ultrasonic technology and a larger tank capacity for longer continuous run time. This is a sleek looking humidifier, and it offers the ability to quickly humidify an entire room using fan propulsion and an ultrasonic mist.
- Can quickly humidify med/large rooms with three fan speed settings.
- Offers fan propulsion with ultrasonic mist.
- Has an essential oil diffuser.
- Looks great and is easy to operate.
- Easy to fill tank.
- Offers a 1-year warranty.
- Does not shut off when the desired humidity is reached in the room.
- Has filters that need to be changed regularly.
- Some complaints on the mist amount and longevity of the product.
How to Choose the Best Cool Mist Humidifier
Here are a few things to consider before you purchase a cool-mist humidifier that will help you get the best unit for your hard-earned dollars.
- How large is the room you are using the unit in?
- How often are you going to run the unit?
- What is your budget for the initial cost of the unit?
- Are you okay with having to change filters?
- Check out the unit’s controls and familiarize yourself with the different features of each unit.
- Are you going to use this unit near children?
- Where do you want to place the unit? On the floor or a shelf? Size the unit.
- Decide between evaporative and ultrasonic.
Both the evaporative and ultrasonic units have pros and cons associated with them and work in different ways. The evaporative units rely on a fan to evaporate the water into the surrounding air, and some may find this noise unacceptable.
The ultrasonic type of humidifiers also may create noise and gurgle unexpectedly, and you may need to pay more attention to this detail if you intend on using this unit in a bedroom setting or baby’s room.
Keep in mind that any unit requiring filters or wicks can increase the overall maintenance and long-term cost of using the machine. Also, remember to never leave the wick or filter in the unit with water when not in use this can lead to mold or bacteria growth.
Cool-mist humidifiers require maintenance and cleaning regularly and do not boil the water before dispersing so any contaminants in the water or tank may be spread throughout the room.
Any appliance that has water and electricity in a contained space should be kept away from children and regularly inspected to prevent possible problems and injury.
Q: Do you need to spend hundreds of dollars on a cool-mist humidifier to get a unit that works well and lasts?
No, you can find a good working and dependable unit in a budget-friendly price range.
Q: Will a cool-mist humidifier cause condensation on windows and walls?
This issue may happen with some ultrasonic units that don’t offer moisture settings or a shutoff feature when the set humidity is reached in the room.
Q: Can using a cool-mist humidifier help to relieve dry skin issues and other health issues?
Yes, using a cool-mist humidifier can help with dry skin issues and help relieve some symptoms related to colds and flu.
Q: Can cool-mist humidifiers spread germs?
Yes, if the unit is not thoroughly cleaned and filters maintained and replaced, they can disperse germs in the mist they create.
As you can see, it may take you a bit of research on different units to find the one that is best suited to your needs and wants. Any of the units above should fit int almost everyone’s budget and have above average customer reviews.
The addition of a humidifier to your home or office may help you breathe a little easier and help maintain a healthy environment for you and your family. Take a few minutes and answer the above questions so you can get a unit that’s a good fit for your needs.