Many of us share our homes with a beloved animal that we consider family. The problem that many of us face is that our human family members may have allergies to these pets. So, how can you keep your family healthy and not have to give up your favorite pets?
You can use an air purifier in your home to help reduce or eliminate the allergens that pets can introduce into the air. Now, not just any old air purifier will work for pets. Keep reading and we will review and rate the best air purifiers for use against pet allergies.
Let’s get started with the air purifier we rated as our top pick. Please keep in mind that for this review all of the top 10 include pets in the details of their product.
Top 10 Best Air Purifiers for Pets in 2020
Levoit Smart Home Air Purifier
Good for Home or Office
9 x 5.5 x 21.5 in
Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier
Best Dual Humidifier for the Money
14.9 x 7.8 x 23.6 in
Bissel Air400 Air Purifier
Great for Large Space
16.1 x 9.8 x 24 in
RabbitAir Minus2 Air Purifier
Great for Large Room & Hang on the Wall
24.1 x 23 x 9.8 in
Austin Air HealthMate Standard Air Purifier
Best for Exceptionally Large Room
14.5 x 14.5 x 23 in
Prosenic 807C Ultrasonic Levoit
Best for Large Room
24.9 x 14.8 x 14.7 in
Partu HEPA Air Purifier
Smaller Unit & Offers Aromatherapy
7.5 x 7.5 x 13.8 in
Mooka Air Cleaner
Good for Home or Office
7.5 x 6.9 x 6.9 in
Renpho Air Purifier
Affordable for Office
11 x 5.7 x 11.4 in
1. Levoit Smart Home Air Purifier – Best Overall
This is a large room air purifier that offers not just protection from pet allergens but pollens and odors as well. A three-stage filter system that includes a true HEPA filter, pre-filter, and charcoal filter work together to capture up to 99.97% of allergens in the air.
This unit is also smart home compatible, meaning that you can control the fan speed and run time with your ALEXA and Google Assistant devices or your phone via the app.
Other features include air quality monitor, filter life tracker and the ability to set a run-time schedule or a variety of timer features. You can save money using these features and improve your sleep quality when you use the sleep mode and turn off the LED display. This unit is rated for rooms up to 350sq ft. and is as quiet as rustling leaves according to the manufacturer.
- It has a true HEPA filter.
- This air purifier uses a three-stage filter system for better allergen removal.
- You can use a variety of timer features.
- It is smart home compatible.
- You can control this air purifier from a remote location via the app.
- Some complaints that the change filter light is not accurate.
- The noise this unit produced after a couple of months was more than described by the manufacturer.
2. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier – Great Choice
This unit includes PlasmaWave technology as well as a true HEPA filter and a washable AOC (advanced odor control) carbon filter that collaborate to reduce indoor air pollution up to 99.97%.
While this unit is not smart home compatible it still offers a large choice of programable features. You can set timers, check air quality, and use the auto features to adjust the airspeed automatically, or choose to use the included remote control.
This air purifier is rated for large rooms up to 360sq.ft. and the Smart Sensors check the air quality and filter life. It offers many easy to use setting controls that include a silent sleep mode to help you rest easy.
- The PlasmaWave is a permanent filter.
- This unit does have a 1year warranty.
- It offers a true HEPA filter.
- It is rated for large rooms.
- You can choose to turn off the PlasmaWave filter.
- There is a bit of controversy about Plasma technology.
- The replacement filters are a bit expensive.
3. Coway Airmega 300 Smart Air Purifier – Great for Larger Rooms
While some large room air purifiers are rated for around 350sq.ft. the Coway Airmega 300 can handle up to 1256sq.ft of room space making it a true large room air purifier.
The unit features a dual air intake to draw in twice the contaminated air as other units and the three-stage filter system can filter out particles as small as 0.3 microns. The Max2 filter combines a carbon layer with a true HEPA filter in one and the pre-filter is washable to help save some replacement expenses.
A LED ring lets you easily monitor the air quality and the pollution sensor relays this information to you in real-time. You can select from one of the five fan modes and this includes a smart auto and sleep mode for one-touch control.
- It has a 1-year internal malfunction warranty and a 5-year electrical warranty.
- The pre-filter is washable.
- It is rated for over 1200sq.ft of room space.
- This unit is Energy Star certified.
- The dual intake system can offer faster air purification.
- This unit is expensive.
- Some complaints about odors from the unit.
- May not be compatible with California laws.
4. HealthSpace True HEPA Air Purifier – Solid Choice
This air purifier features a five-stage filter system and includes a true HEPA filter and an antibacterial layer for added protection. The permanent Ionizer helps to reduce allergens and odors that some other air purifiers can’t, and it is capable of filtering the air of a 350sq.ft room twice per hour.
It features an automatic air quality sensor system that can adjust the fan speed accordingly. The air quality is displayed in easy to understand green, yellow, and red lights so you will always know the quality of the air your breathing.
- You can turn the Ionizer off if you don’t like this feature.
- This unit features an auto-on and remote control.
- The replacement filters are readily available.
- It offers an added layer of protection with the anti-bacterial filter.
- This unit offers a 2-year warranty.
- The filters can be expensive.
- Some may not like the fact that this unit has an Ionizer, as this is controversial.
- The air quality system may not work as well as the manufacturer claims.
5. Medify MA 40-2.0 Air Purifier – Medical Grade
This unit is not a medical device but offers a higher rated True HEPA filter for more benefits. The three-stage filter system can last for up to 2500 hours and includes a charcoal layer for odor removal and has foam edges for an airtight seal.
The large air chamber helps this unit effectively improve the air quality in an 840sq.ft room in as few as 30minutes when on the high setting. This unit features four fan speed settings, a child lock and has a tempered glass panel that won’t scratch.
- This unit has a long-life filter system.
- It is made in the USA.
- It has a medical-grade HEPA filter.
- It has a limited lifetime warranty.
- It has a night mode for a quiet run feature.
- You can turn off the Ionizer.
- The filter is an all in one and can be a bit pricey.
- It does have an Ionizer feature.
6. Germ Guardian True HEPA Air Purifier – Best for Smaller Rooms
A more compact air purifier for rooms up to 167sq.ft. Featuring a three-stage filter system that includes a true HEPA filter for protection against the smallest of allergen particles 0.3 microns. The UV-C light helps reduce bacteria and molds while the charcoal layer reduces odors.
This is a stylish looking air purifier that will blend with any room décor and the unit is quiet enough to use in the baby’s room. While this unit in not jam-packed with non- essential extras it offers quality air purification even on a limited budget.
- This is a compact unit and is only 22in in height.
- You can turn the UV-C light off.
- This unit is very affordable.
- It has a stylish modern look.
- The UV-C light is a bit controversial.
- The unit only has three-speed settings and fewer features than some of the others.
- The replacement filters are expensive.
7. Bissell 2609 Air Purifier – Good Choice
This is a super simple design with a single knob for fan speed adjustments. This unit will self- adjust and provide real-time air quality feedback so you can stay up to date on the air you breathe. The honeycomb design helps the charcoal filter capture and eliminate odors as well as allergens.
This machine is whisper quiet and has an easy access combination filter. This unit has a sleek modern design that easily blends into any room and it can change the air quality of rooms up to 800sq.ft.
- This is a well- known manufacturer of pet-friendly products.
- The single filter system is easy to access and change.
- The automated operation system is easy to set and forget.
- This unit does not specify it has a true HEPA filter include.
- The replacement filter is a bit expensive.
- There are some complaints of it being noisier than the manufacturer claims.
This air purifier features a 3in 1 filter system that includes a true HEPA filter and a new non- woven design on the pre-filter that helps capture more pet dander. The pet lock button keeps both pets and children from altering the settings you have programmed.
Added features include a silent run mode to help reduce the white noise in the home, and the high powered VortechAir design helps this unit quickly and efficiently improve the air quality in a room as large as 219sq.ft.
- There are no UV-C lights or Ionizers in this unit.
- The display light can be turned off at night.
- 2/4/6/8 -hour timers and silent mode.
- This unit has a filter life indicator.
- The combination filter is expensive.
- Some complaints that it didn’t work as described.
9. RENPHO Air Purifier – Affordable Unit
Even if you are on a strict budget you can still afford a true HEPA filter air purifier. This unit is budget-friendly but still has some good features.
This is an air purifier designed for smaller rooms, it can help reduce allergens in rooms up to 103sq.ft. The true HEPA filter traps allergens down to 0.3 microns and the charcoal layer helps to reduce pesky odors.
- This unit offers a nightlight feature.
- It has a filter change indicator.
- Features an ultra-quiet sleep mode.
- It is affordable.
- This unit is only effective in a small room.
- There are some complaints about reliability.
10. Pure Enrichment PureZone – Affordable Choice
This air purifier unit includes a UV-C light as well as a true HEPA filter to help eliminate germs and allergens that may escape other filter systems.
Featuring easy to use one-touch control system and a silent nighttime mode to help you sleep better. The 3in1 filter and adjustable timers help keep this unit more economical than some others.
- The use of UV-C lighting may add more sanitization.
- Includes a 3-1 filter with a true HEPA filter.
- This unit is affordable.
- This unit has a 5-year warranty.
- The unit uses a UV-C light, and these are a bit controversial.
- Some complaints that the fan is weak.
- May not work well in larger rooms.
Why do You Need an Air Purifier if You Have Pets?
As we mentioned int the intro of this review many people have allergies to pets. It’s not just the hair that pets leave in your home it’s usually the pet dander people have allergies too. You might be surprised that almost all animals produce this dander including birds, yes, you can be allergic to birds.
A true HEPA filter is needed in an air purifier to trap the tiny pet dander particles that can cause allergic reactions in humans. If you have loved ones that have respiratory issues or allergies and you intend on keeping your pet in the same house, you should use an air purifier system in your home.
How do You Choose the Right Air Purifier?
Understand your allergies
Allergies are related to odors, or pollens or pets and even dust so you need to have an idea of the allergens your trying to reduce. The filters stages are designed to reduce certain allergens and may not work for others so know what your needs are.
Familiarize yourself with the different types of air purifiers
There are filter only style air purifiers, ones that include sanitizing UV-C lights for added germ protection and still others that use ionizers or Ozone generators to purify the air. If you are looking for one that can reduce allergens you will need one that contains a HEPA filter in the filter combination.
Don’t spend the extra money on features you don’t need
If you don’t need it to sanitize the air against germs you don’t need the added expense of UV-C, Ionizers, or Ozone generators and you might find you can purchase a better quality filter air purifier.
You also may not need the fancy timers, nightlights and other features that can increase the price of an air purifier but are not necessary for an air purifier to be effective at removing allergens.
Know your budget
You know best what you can afford to spend on an air purifier, and keep in mind the added cost of replacement filters.
Buy the proper sized air purifier for your room
Don’t assume that if it is rated for a certain square footage it will do okay in a room larger than the manufacturer suggests. You will be disappointed, and your health may not improve the way it should.
Pay attention to the filters the air purifier uses
There are many different combinations of filters available but for allergy issues you should look for a unit with at least a three-stage filter system. Many times, the more filter layers an air purifier contains the higher the replacement cost.
Q: All Air Purifiers Will Work for Pet Allergies.
No, this is not true. You need to make certain that the filter system includes a true HEPA filter.
Q: You Need to Spend Hundreds of Dollars to Get an Air Purifier that Works for Pet Dander.
No, you can keep to a budget and still get a good air purifier that includes a true HEPA filter.
Q: You need to get an Air Purifier that includes an Ionizer or UV-C light.
No, this is not true. These added sanitizers don’t need to be included for pet allergy issues.
Q: All HEPA Filters are the Same.
No, there are different HEPA filters available. You need at least a true HEPA filter to combat pet dander.
A Few Final Thoughts
If you or a loved one suffer from allergies you know the importance of improving the indoor air quality. Pets can pose an added source of allergens, and you should always speak with a health care professional about allergies and how to combat them.
Including a quality air purifier to your home will help reduce other allergens and germs that can cause breathing issues. Even if you are not having problems with allergies using an air purifier may help reduce cold and flu germs in your home.
All air purifiers are not created equally, and you will need to do your research about things like UV-C lights, Ozone generators, and Ionizers before you make your mind up. These types of air purifiers work best for germs and bacteria and not for allergy reduction, so you may not need to buy one that includes these controversial devices.
One added thought about the replacement filters, take a moment to search out the replacement filters required for the purifier you are considering. You may find the replacement filters are very costly or hard to find.
What you don’t want to do is purchase an air purifier you can’t use because you can’t afford the replacement filters or worse yet can’t get a replacement filter.