We have all come home to our sanctuary and found it smelling less than pristine. This is especially true if someone in the home smokes, and this includes pipes, cigars, and cigarettes; they all leave a distinctive odor in the air.
If you or someone who lives in the home have allergies or asthma, it may be a necessity to keep the air free from the pollutants that accompany smoke and not just the smell. Either way, having a smoker in your home can add to the need or want of an air purifier.
For this review, let’s take a close and in-depth look at the air-purifiers that do the best job in cleaning up the air in a space that may include a smoker.
Below we preview and rank the TOP 10 Air Purifiers as we see them starting with our number one selection.
Top 10 Best Air-Purifiers for Smoke 2019
Levoit Air Purifier
Best for Small Home
9 x 5.5 x 21.5 in
Good for Home or Office
9 x 5.5 x 21.5 in
Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier
Best Dual Humidifier for the Money
14.9 x 7.8 x 23.6 in
Bissel Air400 Air Purifier
Great for Large Space
16.1 x 9.8 x 24 in
RabbitAir Minus2 Air Purifier
Great for Large Room & Hang on the Wall
24.1 x 23 x 9.8 in
Austin Air HealthMate Standard Air Purifier
Best for Exceptionally Large Room
14.5 x 14.5 x 23 in
Prosenic 807C Ultrasonic Levoit
Best for Large Room
24.9 x 14.8 x 14.7 in
Partu HEPA Air Purifier
Smaller Unit & Offers Aromatherapy
7.5 x 7.5 x 13.8 in
Mooka Air Cleaner
Good for Home or Office
7.5 x 6.9 x 6.9 in
Renpho Air Purifier
Affordable for Office
11 x 5.7 x 11.4 in
1. Levoit Air Purifier – Best for Small Home
The Levoit air purifier is our number one choice as it can be used in a larger room and still help reduce the odor and toxins from smoke.
This air purifier is Ozone free and uses no harmful chemicals or lights while cleaning the air. The three-stage filter system this air purifier works well on smells and allergens. It helps to reduce most air pollutants and offers some smart technology to help increase the longevity of the filters.
Quiet running, energy-efficient, LED display and multiple auto settings for fan speed are just a few of the features that help get this unit the number one ranking.
- Offers the user three fan speed settings.
- This unit has three distinct filters.
- The LED display can be turned off to darken the room.
- Offers smart filter life technology to lengthen the life of the filter in real-time.
- Can handle a large room up to 360sq.ft.
- This unit costs a little more than some others.
- It seems that the unit may not be as quiet as advertised.
- The filter life may not be as long as one might think.
2. Germ Guardian – Great for Home or Office
This unit uses UV-C light technology for reducing and eliminating airborne viruses and bacteria and then uses filters for odors and allergens. While the UV-C light may make this a number one selection for some, the light may eliminate this from another’s list altogether. It seems a mixed bag about the abilities of the lights, so some are still skeptical.
As a smoke reducing unit, this air purifier contains both a true HEPA and a charcoal filter to reduce.
Smells and allergens in the air aside from the UV-C light. This unit is quiet and offers a selection of fan speeds that may help reduce noise even more at night.
- Verified as a smoke removal air purifier.
- Charcoal filter included for the reduction in odors including smoke smell.
- Contains UV-C lights that can help eliminate airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Affordable on most budgets.
- May cause an unusual smell.
- There are some complaints that the unit fails within a year.
- Although the unit is advertised as a large room unit, it may not be large enough.
3. Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier – Great for Large Room
This unit offers a true HEPA filter and three-stage air cleaning to help purify the air in a large room or living space up to 360sq.ft. The Plasma Wave technology that is offered in this unit states it will be a permanent filter that can breakdown odors, allergens, and chemical contaminants in the surrounding air.
Multiple fan speed settings, including a sleep mode for silent night running help make this unit a good choice for nursery or use in the bedroom. This unit also has an LED color-changing display that helps you see the air quality in the room.
- This unit uses no Ozone in its filtering capabilities.
- There is a total of four fan speed settings for comfort.
- Auto-sensing technology for the fan speeds.
- This unit is rated for larger rooms.
- Replacement filters may be a bit costly.
- May be a bit noisy on the high fan speed setting.
- May not be as reliable as other units.
4. Bissel Air400 Air Purifier – Great for Large Space
This unit is rated for up to 1200sq.ft making it a good match for a large living room or a conference room at work. This unit also sports a well-recognized brand name that is synonymous for small appliances and has a history of customer service in this industry.
This unit has an air quality sensing technology that can automatically adjust the airflow as needed and an auto-dimming nightlight feature. This unit offers three-stage filtration and an indicator that informs you the filters need to be changed.
This unit is equipped with a large fan motor to ensure longevity and to help reduce the noise output, and the manufacturer lists this unit as Library quiet.
- Manufactured by a company with a 140-year history.
- This unit is energy star rated for efficiency.
- It offers a sleek and modern look in your home.
- This unit is an Ozone Free air purifier.
- May have an unusual smell while the unit is running.
- Some complaints about the air quality sensor working properly.
5. RabbitAir Minus2 Air Purifier – Great for Large Room & Hang on the Wall
This unit is considerably more expensive than the other units listed above, but it does offer coverage for up to 700sq.ft. in room size and can hang on the wall to save floor space if needed.
This unit boasts an advanced HEPA filter system that offers six stages of filtration and odor removal and a customized pet filter system. This unit offers you the ability to change the look of the unit with customized pictures that can be displayed, helping the unit to look more like art than an air purifier.
- Multiple filter configurations for a custom filtration ability.
- Can stand alone on the floor or thin enough to hang on the wall.
- Offers negative ion technology to purify the air.
- Doesn’t produce ozone and passes California safety regulations.
- This unit is expensive and may not be within your budget.
- The filters are expensive to replace.
- Some complaints that this unit did not work well for smoke odor.
6. Austin Air HealthMate Standard Air Purifier – Best for Exceptionally Large Room
This unit has the capabilities of filtering the air in a room up to 1500sq.ft, and this help defuses the price of this air purifier a bit. If you were to purchase multiple units to cover the same square footage, the cost might be comparable.
This unit offers a four-stage filter system and pulls in surrounding air from 360֯, and this can increase the filtered air coverage. The manufacturer has been in the air purifying industry for nearly 30-years, and this is their original unit and still their most popular one.
- Covers exceptionally large rooms.
- Offers multiple stage filter system, including one for odors and smoke.
- May help to reduce coughing due to allergens.
- Medical grade HEPA filter.
- Cost may put this unit out of reach for some.
- Filters are expensive to replace.
- May not cover as of an area as advertised.
7. Prosenic 807C Ultrasonic Levoit – Best for Large Room
This Levoit large room air purifier has a 360֯ air intake area to help pull in more of the surrounding air making it 40% more efficient than some other units. This air purifier has a built-in timer for 1-12 hours and is CARB, FCC and ETL certified for air purity.
Autorun mode allows for this unit to automatically adjust the airspeed based on the surrounding air quality and is listed as rustling leaves quiet. The tower-type design helps save floor space and adds a modern look to the room. The filter indicator light tells you when you need to change the filter, and this unit uses a true HEPA filter to eliminate the smallest particles possible.
- Rated for up to 538sq.ft
- Is 100% ozone free.
- LED Display can be switched off for nighttime use.
- Offers multiple timer features to help reduce energy costs.
- Some complaints that it produces an odor.
- A few stated it seems underpowered.
- Might be noisy.
- Seems expensive when compared to like units.
8. Partu HEPA Air Purifier – Smaller Unit & Offers Aromatherapy
This unit will not only help purify the air to remove smoke odors but can also help reduce odors with scented oils and aromatherapy. This air purifier offers a three-stage filter and includes a HEPA filter for allergens and a charcoal layer for odors and smoke.
A modern look and black cylindrical case help this unit blend in with your décor and is compact enough to fit on a tabletop. This unit also has what they call lockset, and that allows you to set the controls and not worry if the unit gets knocked over or the buttons get pushed.
- This unit comes with a 24-month buyers assurance program.
- This unit can have essential oils added and help act as an air freshener.
- This unit is smaller in design and can set on top of your desk at work.
- Offers three fan speeds.
- It is affordable.
- Only designed for small rooms.
- May produce a carbon smell upon the first few uses.
- This air purifier may not have enough power for your liking.
9. Mooka Air Cleaner – Good for Home or Office
A smaller unit that should do well in a small room or office setting and has a three-stage filter system to ensure air purity. This little unit offers 360֯ air intake to boost efficiency, and a single button on top controls all functions of this unit, making it incredibly easy to use.
This air purifier is quiet and small enough to be used in the nursery or your bedroom and can easily fit on the nightstand or dresser and offers an illuminating nightlight feature many others do not.
- The three-stage filter system includes a carbon filter for eliminating odors and smoke.
- Offers a nightlight feature for use in a bedroom or child’s room.
- Has a HEPA filter for allergens.
- Affordable on most budgets.
- Can be used in an office environment on the desk as it is small in size.
- The nightlight cannot be turned off and might be too bright for your liking.
- The replacement filter seems pricey.
- May be too small for you to notice much of a benefit.
10. Renpho Air Purifier – Affordable for Office
While this unit would not be limited to use at just the office, it is affordable enough for you to place one in the office environment to help improve the air quality at your desk.
Compact design and powerful motor help this unit work well for both a small room in your home or office. This unit offers a three-stage filter system that may help reduce allergens as well as smoke and odors.
Simple one-touch controls and four fan speed that include a sleep mode for quiet running make this unit simple and efficient to use.
- The small design makes it perfect for the office.
- Includes filters for odors and smoke.
- Has a HEPA filter for allergens and molds.
- Has no UV-C or ozone and is approved for use in California.
- May be hard to find replacement filters.
- Might be noisier than advertised.
- Some complaints that it did not filter out pollens very well.
How to Choose an Air Purifier for Smoke
When you are looking for an air purifier to help you combat either primary smoke or second-hand smoke, you should pay special attention to the filters.
There is more to removing smoke than just reducing the smell that goes along with smoking, and this can be from fires, cigarettes, cigars, pipes, etc. You want to get rid of the toxins that are also in the smoke.
You will want to purchase a quality air purifier with at least a three-stage filter system for the best results.
- The Carbon Filter- this will help to eliminate the smell from smoke or other air pollutants, but the carbon is not good for trapping small particles so you will need additional filters.
- Pre-Filters- these types of filters can help to trap larger particles and even some odors before they get too the carbon or HEPA filter.
- HEPA Filter- this is the type of filter that traps the tiny allergens, molds, and other toxins that may be in the air.
The more filter layers you have then, the more filtering the air purifier is doing and the more, the better when you are looking to remove the smell of smoke, and its toxins.
You also want a unit that fits the square footage of the room you intend to place and use the unit in, if the unit is too small for the room you won’t get all the benefits, and you may not notice an improvement in the smoke smell.
Also, about those filters;
- Check out the availability of the replacement filters. It could be a costly mistake if you purchase a unit and can’t get replacement filters and then have to buy another air purifier.
- Take a moment and look at the replacement cost of the filters as well- this could add an enormous amount of long-term cost to the air purifier you choose.
Air-Purifier for Smokers FAQ’s
Q: Do you have to spend thousands on an air purifier for it to work well on smoke?
No, there are many units above that are reasonably priced and should do a decent job of eliminating smoke.
Q: Do I have to purchase an air purifier with a HEPA filter for removing smoke?
No, you could probably get decent results without a HEPA filter, but you may not get the purest air possible without a HEPA filter.
Q: Do air purifiers change the ambient temperature of the room?
No, there is no cooling mechanism in an air purifier just the fan. You may notice a bit of better air circulation in the room while your air purifier is running due to the fan.
Q: Why do the prices of air purifiers vary so much?
All manufacturers use different technology and different features throughout their units, and this helps them have availability for all budgets. Also, the filters can have a significant role in the cost of the unit.
Q: Do all air purifiers work for smoke?
While I’m sure, they would all work to an extent the answer here is no, just as an air purifier without a HEPA filter may help reduce some allergens it won’t be as good as a unit with a HEPA filter. The filters are extremely important when combating smoke.
Do you remember the old saying that you get what you pay for? Well, this may come into play a bit when you are looking into adding an air purifier to your home or office to combat smoke. The better the actual filter is, the better it’s going to filter out smoke.
Now I’m not saying you have to break the bank, but you do want to purchase a good quality unit like the many we have discussed above and not get the cheapest thing you can find.
The better-quality air purifier you buy will provide more health benefits and save you the cost of replacing the unit over and over again. Spend your hard-earned money wisely your health will thank you for it and so will your nose at not smelling that awful smoke.